Thursday 6 August 2009

Accidents can happen... and do so quite often.


This post is inspired by recent technological tragedies of when my phone met my car door and the car door won, and the subsequent panic to try and find a spare working phone. Thankfully in this technology obsessed age I had plenty of options to choose from and am now working my way through trying out various different makes and models, some many years old, (the manufacture day on the Samsung E600, seen top of the picture without aerial, is early 2005!) some only a couple and in the case of the Samsung 2442a (on the right of the picture), it had never been used before! Oh the wastage. Secret option number 4 of course is to just continue using my Tocco which this morning miraculously started working again but which is slightly bent and has a bit of screen damage (the downside to touch screens) ... and the nokia is there but was never really a consideration for me. I’m very much a Samsung girl, just can’t go back to nokia’s.

But of course this is not the reason for this blog post. It was a facebook comment from a friend who on hearing of my phones demise instantly assumed that I would place an order on an iPhone and have done with it. And I would love nothing more than to join the iPhone generation. I just can’t afford to and with what has just happened to my Tocco (one day I’ll go into my previous history with phones...) I’m not exactly to be trusted with such an expensive piece of kit just yet; At least not without some serious protective casing.

But is an iPhone the best option? Yes it’s the trendiest; Just like a Blackberry was a few years ago. But with other similar phones being released based on the iPhone format and with them being remarkably cheaper, is it fair that we just automatically hit up the Apple website to hand over our cash?

Now I would love to be able to take a selection of the newest phones and try them out and see which works best, and which is the most cost effective, who has the best applications, and which has the best practical usability. But then I would just sound like the many other review sites on the interwebs and this would turn into a boring (or more boring) tech blog. I even thought about visiting a major phone retailer’s website and checking out their featured phones, comparing different supposedly unique features, seeing which I liked the look of and reporting it here. But this would only be a superficial exercise and bear absolutely no meaning to whether or not the phones were any good. Plus when I went to the website the main featured phone was an iPhone 3gs and let’s face it... it probably is the best phone out there at the minute. The Nokia n67, the LG Cookie and even the Samsung Tocco Lite are all aiming to replicate the iPhone and its features (with LG going so far as to rip off the look of the icons and create an app store) and hoping to mimic its success.

I will eventually save up enough to surrender my soul to Apple, and I’ll do it quite happily. They’re not perfect and they’re overpriced, but damn if they’re not pretty and they work really well.

1 comment:

  1. I was joking about getting an iPhone as we all seemed to have got one lately. But you still do make a valid point about the blind assumption that the iPhone is where it's at. I've used the new samsung jet and it's nice but the screen is responsive but it's nowhere near the iPhone and it's advertising itself as a fast phone. It's sad that everyone sucks apples dick but they do make well designed and good looking products. Still another thought provoking blog, good read.

    Deaglan

    ReplyDelete