Wednesday 12 August 2009

RSS

I recently got told it was too expensive for me to continue the work i've been doing recently. It wasn't much, just the odd news update/research for a website and it didn't take very much time. I maybe should have put more effort into it but with little feedback on whether the materials i was reporting were usefull or correct i was never fully sure of what i was doing. I don't mind not doing it anymore. Its not really in the area of what i want to do and was just a kind of place holder to keep me on the books so to speak until they found a better job for me.
Whether or not that better job materialises and becomes financially useful is yet to see over the coming month or so.
What depressing about this latest development is the growing number of RSS updates in my browser from sites that i wouldn't normally visit. Its a constant reminder that the little work i was doing to make me feel like i was contributing i'm now not doing. and until whatever this latest position is becomes active i'm working very little in the club (shifts are rare) and barely getting by.

i'm not alone. everywhere i'm hearing about job cuts or shift cuts. nobody can find a job. funding it being heldback. everyone's afraid of the recession. and try to get work in the media is not a good place to be. it doesn't help when you're not really qualified for anything else beyond standard retail and they wont give anyone a job over the age of 17 (younger = cheaper). You might think this pessimistic of me but recently a friend told me of a job interview they went to with a fairly well known retailer (don't ask me who i can't remember) and in the interview they were told of a memo they had recieved from head office basically saying no matter how qualified a person is for the job, even if there was noone else qualified for it, they were not allowed to hire anyone over the age of 16 or 17. So not only am i now unable to find a job in my desired field i'm too old for a job in my fall back field. and i cant even afford to back to uni to qualify for my other fallback (teaching). At 23 this is a depressing thought.
But it cant be helped. we're all facing it in some way or another. we will all survive somehow, that is the nature of humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment